Inside the Mix: Red Hot Chili Peppers with Andrew Scheps
This product is delivered as a permanent online STREAMING video. Only the Exercise files need to be downloaded.
Duration : 02h 32min
GET ALL PUREMIX VIDEOS AND MORE VIA MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTIONS!
*Most Puremix videos also contain audio session files used in the tutorials for you to experiment with using your favourite DAW and plug-in effects.
We at DontCrack think these tutorials are the best available! Really clear videos that any professional or music recording enthusiast will find great new ideas on how to improve their recording and mixing skills.
Product Overview :
This is your chance to see how Grammy-winning engineer/producer Andrew Scheps mixed the legendary rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers' song Pink as Floyd.
Learn how a multi-platinum mix engineer collaborated with the band and producer Rick Rubin to record and mix the group in both large-format studios and home studios.
Hear how he captured the bandís characteristically funky and energetic vibe then translated that into a punchy and finished mix. Andrew teaches you how he applies and adapts his mix template to craft the mix quickly with dynamics and vibe.
Andrew dissects his final mixing session and shows you how to:
- Combine close mics, overheads, and room mics to create a cohesive sound to the drums as one instrument
- Use shared compression for a night and day difference on the drum tone and add dynamics to the entire arrangement
- Take a mix from sounding "awesome" to sounding "finished"
- Setup mix bus processing to do more with less in terms of processing
- Get Flea's signature bass tone using a combination of mics and DI
- Make acoustic and electric guitars sit perfectly in the mix
- Use both subtractive and additive EQ to enhance the sound of individual tracks
- Add creative special effects to spice up the bridge and take it into a new space
- Keep the Anthony Kiedisí lead vocals sounding present and powerful even when the mix is dense and layered
- Judge and tweak the gain stage the entire mix based on the 2 bus compressor
- Use stereo width manipulation with hard panning to make a great stereo image in headphones and speakers alike
BONUS: Download the exercise files and practice mixing the song for yourself! The artist and their label were gracious enough to allow pureMixers the chance to try their hand at mixing a portion of the song using the same raw multitrack stems Andrew mixed. Put your skills to the test and apply some of your new found techniques.