Script your own effects and instruments
Blue CatAudio's Plug'n Script is an audio and MIDI scripting plug-in that can be programmed to build custom effects or virtual instruments, without quitting your favorite DAW software.
With this plug-in, you can write your own plug-in with very little knowledge about programming. If you do not care about programming, Blue Cat's Plug'n Script can also be used as a regular multi effects processor with existing scripts or to get someone else write this very particular utility you have been searching for years and cannot find anywhere.
If you are an experienced programmer, you will find in Plug'n Script a powerful development environment for audio plug-ins: prototype algorithms quickly, generate a state of the art graphical user interface (GUI) without a single line of code, and export a VST plug-in, right from within your favorite DAW! Creating a plug-in has never been so fast!
This plug-in has been in Blue Cat Audio's lab for several years and has been used to prototype lots of their existing plug-ins. It supports both scripts distributed as source code and pre-compiled binary scripts.
For source scripts, it uses the high performance AngelScript scripting engine, originally developed for video games, with a JIT compiler that helps compiling scripts into machine code for optimal performance. Starting with version 2, the plug-in also supports native (compiled) code and can load binary scripts built from C or C++ (or any language that can export C functions, such as Delphi, Fortran, .Net...), using the same interface as the angelscript version.
The plug-in includes dozens of audio and MIDI processing scripts as well as several virtual instruments and utilities to enhance your workflow. They can be used as is, or as examples to get started to write your own scripts. User scripts can be shared in the scripts repository, which also includes the factory scripts and native projects for reference.
To build complex effects chains using multiple scripts, you might be interested in Blue Cat's PatchWork, which can host multiple instances of this plug-in in series or parallel. While writing scripts, you might also want to use our analysis tools to check their effect on the signal.
- Audio and MIDI scripting plug-in.
- Build your own Audio and MIDI effects or virtual instruments.
- Export your effect or instrument as an independent VST plug-in.
- Native binary scripts support (compiled C, C++ or Delphi, Fortran...).
- Fully customizable user interface that adapts to scripts automatically. Build your own using Blue Cat's KUIML language.
- Up to 48 input parameters and 32 outputs, with full MIDI and automation control.
- Use your favorite Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for editing.
- Integrated JIT (Just In Time) compiler for optimal performance (scripts are not interpreted but compiled).
- Includes 56 scripts with source code and 136 presets for sound synthesis, MIDI FX, audio FX (comp, gate, tremolo echo, filters, looper...), waveform generation, file playback/recording and more.
- Side chain input and auxiliary outputs support.
- Surround support (up to 8 audio channels).
- Download free scripts from Blue Cat's audio & MIDI scripts repository.
What's new in V3.0
Warning: changed the identifier of the VST3 version on Mac. See this post for more details.
- Brand new GUI design, with improved usability and touchscreen support, fully zoomable.
- Scripts can now be exported as independent VST plug-ins.
- Customize the user interface in the plug-in (no code required), or write your own layout for each script.
- Separate player and editor modes for optimal workflow.
- Parameters display format can now be set by scripts.
- Retina displays support on Mac (high resolution for text and vector graphics).
- Changed demo limitations: up to 5 instances allowed, bypass time changed to half a second, and bypass parameter is not affected anymore.
- New installer on Mac.
- New version of the Angelscript engine (2.31.1).
- Fully compatible with previous versions of the plug-in.
- Fixed minor issues on Mac OS High Sierra.
- Fixed native file recorder script issues (file names were not properly generated for rotation).
- Fixed MIDI channel issue with VST3: MIDI channel for note events was offset by one in the VST3 plug-in version.
- Removed specific mono and stereo versions for the VST plug-in - please uninstall previous version first if you do not need them (new installer will not remove them).
- Dropped support for Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.6 and earlier.
Available as: Mac-AAX, Mac-AU, Mac-RTAS, Mac-VST, Mac-VST3, Win-AAX, Win-DX, Win-RTAS, Win-VST, Win-VST3, Win x64-AAX, Win x64-DX, Win x64-VST, Win x64-VST3.
- An SSE2-enabled processor (Pentium 4 or newer).
- Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8 or 10.
- Any DirectX / VST / RTAS / AAX compatible host software (32 or 64 bit).
- An Intel processor.
- Mac OS Sierra (10.12), Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11), Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10), Mavericks (10.9), Mountain Lion (10.8), Lion (10.7).
- Any VST / Audio Unit (32/64-bit) / RTAS / AAX compatible application.
- 5 instances of the plug-in allowed per session.
- The effect is bypassed for half a second every minute.
- Exported VST plug-ins display a demo message and will stop processing after 10 minutes.
Blue Cat's Download demo page
Choose your prefered Platform: